January 18, 2006

Best coop game for 2005

And the winner is… SWAT4. It’s amazing and sad altogether: 1 (one) good coop game in all of 2005?? It’s hard to understand, but sadly all too conceivable.

Now, you know I’m talking about First Person Shooters (FPS) on PCs. I don’t own a game console, and I don’t want any, ever. But 1 (one!) single good coop game for 2005?

Seriously, this is disappointing. Especially when you think of a game as delicious as F.E.A.R. FEAR was a really solid FPS. It had awesome action, great AI (artificial intelligence), solid storyline, good graphics, great environments (some people didn’t like the repetitive offices; I’d like to have some CQB with them in one of those). But no coop.

Now, there might be a glimpse of hope in Serious Sam 2, which I yet have to test on coop, so there are still some possibilities out in the open. If it is worth your attention, I’ll let you know.

But even though competitors were not really available, SWAT4 is sweet coop action, it leaves you hanging on the edge of your toes, every nerve focused on staying alive and making the right moves. I do need a patch/cheat to be able to get gamers back in the game after they die though: newbies just don’t enjoy being kicked out after opening their first door too quickly.

No comments: